Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How will your children turn out?

I was intrigued by a biography I read over at another blog this morning. It got me thinking about parenting and how our efforts - or lack of effort- directly impacts how our children "turn out". Often I hear myself and other parents stating that we hope and pray our children will "turn out" okay, but without even realizing how much opportunity we have EVERY day to teach our children and influence how they "turn out". I believe if we do our job, our children won't just 'turn out', but they will prosper and grow to be the adults that we have fostered and mentored for for so long.

Our job and role as parents is one to mentor and guide these small beings so that they may become the best adult they were created to be. It is not a shot in the dark to just see how they will 'turn out', for children will only 'turn out' according to how we have mentored and guided them along the way. Children are only products of what we make them to be. One of my favourite parenting cards created by Jan Hunt is "Children reflect the treatment they receive". Jan is one of my mentors and someone whom I respect. The Natural Parenting Project is a website I frequent often for inspiration, guidance and support. The parenting cards available on her website is one of the ways I continue to learn and grow as a parent. It helps me to stay present in my role as a parent and mentor to my children, because as you all know our jobs as parents are not easy! It is also one way I can continue to feel good about they way my children will 'turn out' as adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment