Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What have you done today?

As a homeschooler I am often haunted by my internal thoughts saying - do more...is this enough learning? "what have they learned today", etc. etc. I am sure many of you know what I mean when I say that little voice inside your head that questions if you did enough in the day. I couldn't help but think of this today as I feel as though I have spent my morning in the kitchen.

First, my children got lots of snuggles and cuddles on the couch when they first rose this morning as we snuggled in and watched some re-runs of Back to the Future. This was a lesson on history and time travel! Each time they watch the movie they absorb more information, and have learned to pay attention to different parts of the movie each time I point something out. They are now pointing things out to me! After snuggling, we had our breakfast, and although it was a rough start with them fighting over the computer as they chose which BrainPop video to watch, we all survived. So there they got a short lesson on how Annie and Moby use Email and the Library (along with how to get along with each other). This website is a favourite right now in our household and I am considering purchasing a membership to keep it going. They can get quick lessons on anything!

After that, as I was on the phone with Saxon Math teacher, my oldest entertained the younger boys with doing toddler trays for them! It was the cutest thing ever, and they all loved it! I got all my questions answered from Saxon while I made muffins and the children played -or should I say learned! This is where the inventions started happening, my 4 & 2 year old starting making up things like Doc Brown in Back to the Future! Once that was done, my daughter worked on her lapbook at the kitchen table while the boys continued with their inventions.

So, my children have taught me today that they have already learned a lot, even though I have cooked, cleaned, been on the phone and not sat them down to do any formal lesson yet today. I find this to be one of the hardest lessons to learn as a homeschooler, but as each year goes by, it become more apparent to me of this very important lesson as a parent.

This is what I have done today...and now I must head back into the kitchen to make lunch and clean some more as my children continue to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment